Studio monitors rec's

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Aug 24 09:08:38 CEST 2009

Andrew Tarpinian wrote:
> Thinking of replacing my monitors, one of them has gone bad, I think I
> blew it, rattles pretty loudly at low frequencies.

Please try and fix or replace before dumping a wad on new shit!
If not for your wallet, for the planet! ;)

Swap your speakers L/R to make sure it is the speaker and not equipment
or wires preceding it (doh!)

This could be a dodgy bass driver, something loose inside or a loose
connection (plugs/spade connectors or dry or fatigued solder join) or
even a failure in a component in the active circuit itself. It could
even be as dull as a bad input connector (jack/phono/whatever it has)

If you can troubleshoot it down to the bass driver, it should be
possible to get a replacement driver which would be an easy repair to
do. You may have to contact Alesis or open it up to find out what
make/model it is. Don't expect Alesis to sell replacement drivers cheap
to the public, if at all.
A bad connection: open it up carefully and disconnect/reconnect spade
connectors, remove the drivers and do the same at that end. If possible,
clean connectors with contact cleaner or some alcohol based stuff.

Any other fix except input connector is more involved and...

There's always the 'bay:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=alesis+M1+active

Either buy a single or a pair with one faulty to make most savings.
Take note that other models of similar Alesis speakers _may_ have the
same bass/mid driver, but that's only any use if you know for certain
that is the problem...