Dual CPU?

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Aug 17 23:36:16 CEST 2009

> The reason why I asked is because my laptop at work is a Core Duo (not
> Core 2) mobile, running at 1.66 GHz and even with 2 GB of memory, it
> feels not very fast.

it might surprise you but i have no clue what OS you're running on
it.  why don't you try a fresh boot with a bit of judicious allocation
of ram to a core linux boot, and see if its really so slow?  maybe
what you really need is 8gigs of RAM.  no reason, ever, not to fill a
system with whatever it can contend with.  i always max my systems
RAM, or at least .. eventually.

> Obviously, there's the mobile CPU, the lousy video
> and the 2.5" S-ATA disc.

.. and the shitty OS?

> As a comparison, my home machine has a 2.2 GHz Athlon 64, with 2.5
> GB of
> memory and a Seagate Barracuda S-ATA disc. Video is an Nvidia 8800 GTS
> (320 MB). Not really suited to play GTA 4 (my main reason to
> upgrade) or
> any recent game for that matter.

i got myself a very cheap deal on a quad-core AMD system, and had to
(out of necessity) do some not-so-cheap things on the video side, but
now i have a really amazing machine.  if i had a laptop version of
what i'm running in my home lab, i'd be pickled.

> So... now I'm waiting for Windows 7 to hit the shelves, and then I'll
> get a new system.

peter, i have advised you countless millions of billions of times, but
try a linux boot for all you need it do do, in parallel to your hassle
with Win7 upgrades, at least ..

you clearly have needs that must be fulfilled by the computer.  the
more you describe those needs, the sooner the computer can do
something about it.  it may also just be crap hardware, but
nevertheless .. a cheap tweak that makes a difference would be a bonus
then, wouldn't it..

;
--
Jay Vaughan