Komplete 5

Andrew Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Aug 6 00:08:34 CEST 2009

On Aug 5, 2009, at 5:42 PM, Jay Vaughan wrote:

>> Ok, well it's an application with a dedicated controller attached,
>> you don't need to run a daw. So in the studio as long as you have a
>> capable computer I see it as a production box with as much sample
>> space as you want and a large external monitor. For me the computer
>> component gets rid of the annoying parts of just a hardware unit.
>

> a very interesting take.  the annoying parts of the hardware are those
> items it doesn't normally have?  thus, hardware that is not complete
> without a laptop.  or, poor hardware.
>
> a display is definitely necessary but i believe the config should be -
> press one button and it works.  until software can deliver that, it
> will always be inferior to well-designed hardware (Even if it has a
> soft core) that delivers single-on operations.
>
> of course, if you always leave your hardware on, and only have to ever
> had configured it once to get what you need out of it, thats another
> thing.  one thing i don't like about the MPC, however, is how 'deep'
> its menus get, and how little of the power is reflected in the
> geometry of the physical design.
>
> great that Live has an interface to the physical world; i must admit
> that i do quite enjoy the combination of the nano- controllers with my
> laptop, once its all plugged in and wired up and so on .. but there is
> still the danger of things going TILT.  i like, therefore, to believe
> that TILT-less hardware is actually still possible in this day and
> age, beyond the general purpose, exclusively into 'you may only rock
> it' territory.
>

> /end_of_rant..

Here is the thing, it depends on the hardware. If we are talking about
the monomachine for instance, no way I want a computer touching that
thing. If you are talking about an MPC well really that's just a dead
box till you add things to it. It can not do anything on it's own
(standalone?) till you add samples and/or sequence external sound
modules. For instance since I would like to keep my sample library on
the computer I would naturally use one of the many software samplers,
but guess what? Snooze fest. Maschine brings sampling and sequencing
to the computer without being boring.

but aren't we all just computers on the inside? Well actually,
americans are made of corn.