Test? Is it safe?

Mikael Hansson EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Apr 28 19:50:07 CEST 2009

Tony Scharf skrev:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Tony Hardie-Bick <tony at entity.net> wrote:
>
>> The Dong wrote:
>>
>> Just leave it plugged in ;)
>>

> There is also the problem with electric vehicles that all you are
> really doing is displacing where the CO2 is generated.  Depending on
> where you live, the electricity your charging it up with is more than
> likely generated by burning coal (not exactly a green process). In
> fact, if you consider the efficiencies of batteries and the amount of
> power loss charging them up..your net impact could actually be higher.
>
> So what you end up with is a poorly performing vehicle, that is not
> environmentally cleaner but has the effect of making the driver *feel*
> good about themselves while not personally having to incur as much
> cost for fuel.
>
> Alternative fuels that burn more cleanly and are more easily renewable
> are going to be the eventual answer.  That or cars that burn gasoline
> more cleanly and efficiently.

I've read some reports about this, but unfortunately they're in swedish
so no use posting links but they state that if all electricity comes
from coalplants, the CO2 emitted is slightly higher than a normal car
but if you use natural gas it's much lower. No problem in Sweden though,
I think the only oil/coalplants still in use are reserveplants for high
energypeaks during wintertime which make up only 3 % of the total
production. But the CO2 problem is better handled at a powerplant and
more so in the near future when we start doing "Carbon capture and
storage" (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_capture_and_storage>)

Another report compared energy efficiency from natural resources to car
use and a electric car powered by a gasplant had an efficiency of about
30 % whereas a gasoline car had a total efficiency of about 13 %.

/Micke