Test? Is it safe?

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Apr 28 17:27:00 CEST 2009

Chris Strellis wrote:
> Save electricity by using a different method for heating rather than using
> electricity is far better for the environment than energy saving light bulbs
> ever will.

Heating is the only aspect of electricity saving that may significantly benefit
the environment in a domestic situation. Lighting et al are important, as a
conscientious practice in advance of significant energy saving technologies, but
not because they make such a *huge* difference to the environment or costs.

One of the few technologies available now, but not so widely implemented, is
geothermal heat exchange, where the heat capacity of shallow ground is exploited
to delivery warmth in winter, and cooling in summer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground-source_heat_pump

Commercial systems are available, but it strikes me as the sort of thing that
might be DIY-able :)

Tony (HB)