Test? Is it safe?

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Apr 28 15:28:02 CEST 2009

Chris Strellis wrote:
> Err about £110 if 30p a day or ~70p a day if £250 per annum.

It clouded over and I couldn't read the display properly on my solar
powered calculator at that point :)

> But we were talking about electricity saving.  Gas heated water for heating is far cheaper than electricity.  But this is outside the scope of the original topic.

I've got a better idea. Gas is too much, both in upheaval (I've laid
wooden floors) and cost (really, the cost of gas hot water and central
heating installation means it could take decades before you break even)
If it's pretty cheap to heat a tank of water, and I think £110 a year is
cheap, I could plumb up an adhoc pumped heating system using the
electric boiler to circulate water from the hot water tank back round to
the upper tank. The whole thing is insulated. Same as gas CH without the
gas instant heat. Along with a rooftop DIY Solar water heater, this
system would definitely be better and cheaper to run than the storage
heaters. At least it would be easier to control anyway.

> Save electricity by using a different method for heating rather than using electricity is far better for the environment than energy saving light bulbs ever will.

Solar convection?

> Furthermore, where is the energy coming from to make all the glass and nasty chemicals to make the "environmentally friendly" light bulbs?!!!
> Glass melts at 2300 °C - that takes *a lot* of energy.
> Don't get me started....

MERCURY!!
I don't like the LED's much either. The colour is awful, but the warm
white might be ok. Not got them.

> Also save money on carpets by wearing just a little square of carpet on each foot!

Fashion guru!
Wipe down each piece of coal with spirits for a cleaner hearth! ;)