SSD RAID?

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Apr 26 11:09:27 CEST 2009

Jay Vaughan schreef:

>> Perhaps a stupid question, but would it make any sense to make a
>> redundant RAID array with SSD drives?
>
> Yes.  There is a 1Tb SSD-based RAID in one of the projects I'm working
> on.  Its awesome .. so freakin' fast.  Its being used as a cache.

OK, but please note the word 'redundant'. Like, RAID 5 or something.
Does that make sense, or can an SSD drive be expected never to have any
failures?

I know, it's electronics, so it will fail eventually, but if it takes 20
years to fail, that's not really an issue.

In the future, I'd like to have a small system with a low-profile SATA
RAID controller and four SSD drives, to have a small yet awesome file
server.

- Peter