The device we want is near at hand ..

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Apr 22 15:04:44 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 4:48 AM,  <paul.maddox.mail-list at synth.net> wrote:
> Chris,
>
>  is the tactile feedback required?
> I mean, shouldn't the sound that results from an action be enough?
> this is about music and not boxing after all.

for people who play synthesizer?  Probably less so than other
instruments.  I will say that the physical response of the keys under
my hands does  have a huge impact on how I play.  I certainly play
synths lacking velocity controls differently than I do those that have
it (I tend to solo more, and keep my left hand open for tweaking to
add expression - need to learn to use foot pedals one of these days).

Personally, I think if your going to go whole hog and have a full
touch display interface, why bother with a keyboard at all?   You
could have a continuous rather than quantized pitch scale from left to
right, and then put expression in the vertical access.  If your
display is pressure sensitive, then you could add additional
expression in the Z plane.  I mean, if your going to create such a
great touch interface and throw out physical keys anyway why not go
all the way?

Tony