All Hail GORF!

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Apr 19 17:30:51 CEST 2009

> awww, you say the nicest things.

coming from you, that is quite an observation! :)

>> Okay, its a -bit- fiddly - and I would've put the buttons on the
>> bottom of the board (underneath the pots) and maybe a *little* bit
>> more space between the pots would be nice, but other than that .. it
>> is *hell* fun to play with.
>
> yep, I had planned more space, between everything, but the software I
> used for the PCB layout had a limit of 100mm by 80mm, which is what
> you have there. I'd have gone for about 140mm by 100mm and had more
> distance between the knobs and switches, etc.

ah, i get it .. well its still perfectly playable, i just think its a
good idea for future revisions.  definitely lends a very 'tweaky' feel
to the whole process.

what i like is to get things set up and then just sit on CONT page ..
very useful for my style of jam.

>> Paul, I demo'ed it at MetaLab all Friday night, set it up in the
>> studio and we enjoyed playing with it immensely.  Needs a multi-mode
>> (two or 3 more MIDI channels would be nice)
>
> a few people have asked for this, I'm not sure how I can do this yet
> without the someone ending up having to push the mode button like 12
> times to get to third channel.

well, yeah, if you get too shift-key'ificated, things start to look
quite collin'ish.  you could shift-key the 'save/load' feature, and
then use the existing save/load keys to step across multi's ..

i gotta get set up to code for it .. i've spent the afternoon grok'ing
your work and it looks like it'd be really easy to add some nice new
modes.  one thing i thought about was 'program from keyboard' where
the notes are just entered one-by-one, stack-style.

> yep, on the vacoloco mail-list a few people have expressed an interest
> in a "sandwich" type case. Bit of perspex for the top and bottom held
> together with longish screws.
> If you make them, let me know, I'll have one and I expect a lot of the
> 40+ other GorF owners would too.

well i'll try to get it cut at least this week, and we'll see how it
goes .. two bits of perspex with holes to connect 'em by way of spacer-
bolts should definitely be do'able.

>> And now the big question among the synth team at MetaLab is what it
>> would be like to have 8 or 12 of the GORF's in a big panel, all
>> individually controlling different synths.  I think we're gonna try
>> build this monster, honestly ..
>
> hehe, you're NUTs!!!!

a big bank of them would be *very* fun.  really.

;
--
Jay Vaughan