Fun Update

Matt Picone EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Apr 8 07:14:55 CEST 2009

Here's a fun update from "the virtual road, day 2".

Dweezil is now in Japan gigging with the rig we built. Last night there
were level problems-- lots of volume pedal riding to keep any semplance
of balance. We had spent some time back in "virtual L.A." normalizing
levels across programs, but it was a rush and done in a situation of
sleep deprivation. The gig yesterday revealed obvious shortcomings in
the method used. The job at hand was to help make fixing this situation
a little easier.

One's instinct asserts that rudimentary quantitative approaches to this
problem will only goes so far-- psychoacoustic differences make programs
which appear the same on your meters to sound dramatically different.
and then there's Fletcher Munson to argue with... but I needed to find a
some way to identify troubles, and quickly, with just hours until the
next show.

I connected my own Ultra (loaded with the sounds for the gig) then
hooked up some white noise (-15db) to its input. I connected the outputs
to sound forge, then stepped through all the programs, counting
carefully. Hitting stop, I could instantly see the desired outcome had
been reached: the waveform display showed clearly which sounds were the
major offenders at each end of the level scale.

Porting some screen captures of this file over to Photoshop for some
labeling revealed that it was hard to read across the full horizontal
spread, so I added some color bars for reference. Now, rhythm, leadm and
"wild" sounds had target zones to sit in... Making some adjustments
followed by a listening check set the stage for big improvement. Stand
by for the final analysis.

The completed graphic can be seen here:

http://www.mysticworks.com/dz/all.gif