Active Avantone MixCubes

punkdISCO EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Sep 28 11:25:15 CEST 2008

Hey Jay

> I wonder if I should get these - they fit the bill, being active,
> small, and relatively decent to mix on .. whats your experience been
> like, Paul?

Mate, they sound like shite..  Not sure how well they would be suited to
being a primary set of monitors.  The quoted frequency response is a rather
optimistic 90Hz to 17kHz.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr07/articles/avantonemixcubes.htm

They studio grot-box speaker concept was born in an era when people just did
not have access to decent sound.  Nowadays even our TVs sound incredible.
So, their use is slightly less valid today but, I guess there are still a
lot of people listening to their iPods via these awful iPod docking stations
which are usually quite frequency-challenged.

I still find it a lot of fun to use them during the final mixing stages.
Sometime I force myself to do an entire writing session on them and then see
how this translates back to normal speakers.

But hey, they look incredible and the passive ones at least, are supper
cheap..

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk
Banned by YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EvlOpBe0xU
"thats mental! and rather fkin ace too! cheers! dick subhumans"