Samplers are dead(?)

punkdISCO EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Sep 26 23:01:44 CEST 2008

Been thinking about this for years, and it is not a unique thought.

If you were in the market for a hardware sampler today, there are none!!
Sure, you have the MPC type desktop things by various manufactures and, you
have the workstation synths with samplers, but where are the samplers!!

Im not saying that there is any obvious need for a sampler today; its
nothing that a laptop cant do, but somepeople have laptop anxiety,
especially when playing live.

In case anyone suggests that there might be a sampler reserrection, like the
analogue reserrection, I don’t buy into this.  Samplers suck and, unless
they have some little gimic like analogue filters and low bit rates, there
is good reason for fully loaded machines now selling for £100 on ebay.

But anyway, I just think its strange and probably very unique how a complete
generation of musical instrument can become obsolete, with no chance of
every regaining any favour or popularity.

My cupboards also house a old Emax1 SE Turbo.  I keep meaning to rig it up
to my MMT8 (cupboard) as a little jamming sampler rig.

Anyone anticipate a new sampler ever being released again?

Paul

London

www.punkdisco.co.uk

Banned by YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EvlOpBe0xU
"thats mental! and rather fkin ace too! cheers! dick subhumans"