BBC NEWS | Technology | Google's Android mobile unveiled

Andrew Robinson EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 24 20:19:17 CEST 2008

> As someone who has been using desktop computers for the last 25 years, I
> can see the appeal of moving some applications to the mobile phone.
>
> Not e-mail/forums or web browsing, I think a mobile will remain
> unsuitable for that because of the small screen, except for certain very
> specific applications, and specially designed web sites.

I agree with you on the forums and general browsing, but I've already
find myself reading my mail on the iPhone while sat in front of my
Mac. I use the Mac when I want to type a reply longer than a few words
though, which leads on to my next point...

> Unless, of course, somebody comes up with an idea to connect any
> screen/keyboard/pointing device combination to your mobile phone, in
> which case the use for a desktop computer will largely vanish.

Even more baffling to me than Google's decision to launch a 'me too'
iPhone is Apple's stubborn insistance that I can't use my Apple
bluetooth keyboard with my Apple bluetooth Phone.

I agree with you though, I don't want to dock my phone to an  iFridge
(I know we were joking about it earlier, but there actually is one on
the way: http://devicedaily.com/gadgets/gorenje-the-ipod-fridge-launched-at-ifa-2008.html
) I want to plug it into a cheap dumb terminal with the form factor of
a macbook air. Just a keyboard, a (multi)touchscreen and a big battery
is all it needs, maybe an optional DVD drive too.

> However, there *is* a move from the traditional desktop towards smart
> phones, and despite their best attempts, Microsoft haven't managed to
> make a dent there, perhaps because they have a different business model
> that doesn't lend itself very well for mobile applications? I wouldn't know.

I think they just don't have Steve Jobs harassing them to make Windows
Mobile 'insanely great'. From what I've seen it falls into the same
trap as Nokia/SonyEricsson/Motorola etc of 'ticking off the boxes on
the features list' rather than actually being really good at things.

> Google's business model is based on advertising, and maximising their
> search technology.

but their strategy is to launch probably the first phone that will get
a usable port of firefox+adblock!

> But to not establish a foothold in the mobile market would be very
> unwise indeed.

I'm not so sure. Have Microsoft really gained much from having a
loss-making Xbox division?

> In which case it's good to be working at a mobile phone company, because
> whatever happens, I'll get it for free anyway. :)

Will you, though? I read that the Android G1 is tied to T-mobile, in
the same way that the iPhone is tied to AT&T in the US. I'd be
interested to know what you think the impact of such Balcanisation
will be.

- Andy_R