Summing in the Interface

Niall Munnelly EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Sep 22 11:00:17 CEST 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 08:39:00PM -0500, Tony Scharf wrote:

> This has never been a problem, because every DAW out there allows for
> bouncing audio tracks internally.  Some do it in real time while
> others will 'calculate' the mix at faster speed (depends on if you
> have external MIDI tracks or not).  In any case, bouncing is an
> internal matter to the DAW and the interface doesn't matter.

The interface matters if you want it to perform the summing
duties, instead of a DAW.  I haven't investigated claims
that summing out of the box via an external summing mixer
{Speck X-Sum, Dangerous 2-Buss, Phoenix Niceriser and
others} or some audio interfaces is superior to mixing in
the box too deeply.  I did hear a difference between, say,
Samplitude and Live 5/6, but I was basically guessing in a
Cubase 3/Samplitude shootout.

Obviously, you need controlled listening circumstances and
it's not /that/ important to me - I have more important
studio problems between keyboard and chair - but I'd like to
indulge my curiosity, and want to understand the behavior
I've described in my first email.

--
Yours,
Niall.