Peanut butter

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Sep 18 16:28:48 CEST 2008

Easy one. Love it or hate it, I made some nut butter just now.
Economics being as they are, I can buy a half kilo of unshelled, raw
nuts for £1. A jar of cheap PB costs about 80p but tastes like it's made
from the shells mixed with cheap vegetable oil.

I followed very roughly this:

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/1230/Chef-Laurens-Peanut-Butter77761.shtml

But I don't have a food processor, so used the end of a wooden rolling
pin to crush in a bowl. Used a lot less (brown) sugar, a half teaspoon
salt, fresh roasted and shelled peanuts, macadamia, almonds and some
pecans, but the peanuts were dominant.
Used a splosh of walnut oil to get a just spreadable, thick sticky poo.
Any oil would do, but I thought a nut based oil would add more to the
flavour.
I watched a video online of some girl making peanut butter and it turned
out like melted butter. That's not right, not my right anyhoos..

After an hour of all this and the final pounding, it looks like dark
crunchy peanut butter, but tastes like a £6 jar of primo crispy, salty,
nutty sin! ;)

Hmmm. Dip some carrots in that, or with caramel and ice cream, toast.