Latest gear score

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 17 13:53:03 CEST 2008

The Dong wrote:
> Hehe. One of the first FM synths.

Just got this. In the description a 'hum' was mentioned.

Took it to bits, cleaned it, checked the obvious, removed the masses of
unnecessary tape holding it together. Nothing electronic needed
replacing, sound output is dead quiet and clean. I mean deeaaad quiet.

It's very shabby, looks like whoever owned it used this hum as an excuse
to batter the top repeatedly. Got those dings out ;)

The only thing I did find faulty was the transformer, not faulty
completely, but it measures like there has been a short in a winding
dropping voltage of one winding a volt or so. It vibrates a bit, but it
didn't help that screws were missing and it wasn't bolted down. A shim
of foam and a new screw tightly down and it's barely noticeable.

It sounds nearly exactly like the old OPL3 soundblaster sound, but with
maybe a little extra. I expected as much. Jolly good for £10.

Another sound box...