Hosting

Michael Zacherl EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Sep 16 08:25:28 CEST 2008

On Sep 16, 2008, at 3:44 AM, Tony Scharf wrote:

> Actually, Joost isnt quite accurrate.  Xen is a competing product to
> VMWare.  Both are 'free' (or at least available in free versions).

yup. But in a bigger context those free VMware products are pretty
limited.

> We use VMWare at work because it has some very good add-on products
> that allow us to move servers around like they are word documents -
> great stuff.

We run a small ESX cluster with load balancing  (DRS) and HA (automatc
fail over)  at the office.
All the storage is a 5TB NetApp Filer.
Pretty sturdy that thing.
But the virtualised servers aren't (windows/exchange ... blah)

> I havnt had a chance to setup a Xen server, though I have been meaning
> to.  waiting till I can afford a desktop with 16gb of RAM and 3tb of
> space..

For a long time commercial producs like VMware were just better - but
I think competition (also from other commercial vendors) got much
stronger meanwhile.

   ;-) m.

--
keep your ears open: http://blauwurf.at