time to buy some decent speakers/monitors ..

punkdISCO EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Sep 12 21:25:44 CEST 2008

Micke wrote:

> Paul H got the 8040

Yeah, baby..

http://www.punkdisco.co.uk/misc/gear/WhiteOnWhite.jpg

My view (and remember: I swapped a pair Adam P11a for the above because they
looked nicer!) is: we spend too long deliberating over monitors (I did).
Providing they have a few good credible reviews and ideally you have
listened to them and like them, they will be fine.

I have mentioned this before but, I was down to the P11a and the 8040 as
bother are regarded as being outstanding in their bracket.  I went for the
P11a because Paul White had reviewed both and said the P11a were THE best in
their bracket (and he does not often commit like this).  He said the 8040s
were very slightly American sounding (hyped); less so than their
predecessors.  I could actually hear this myself as they 8040s sounded
'better' which I convinced myself was a bad thing as "we need 100%
neutrality"!

After 2ish weeks I realised that I really preferred the way the 8040s looked
and this is far more important in terms of productivity and inspiration (and
I really mean this).  Besides, what is wrong with having some speakers that
sound good?  Its not a crime!  After all, Im going to be listening to these
for probably a decade, maybe longer..

Conclusion is: both the P11a and 8040 would have been completely fine for me
providing I got to know them. Once you accept this, you can then make
choices on less purist terms like: which ones look better, which ones do I
prefer the sound of despite it being minutely 'hyped', etc.

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk
Banned by YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EvlOpBe0xU
"thats mental! and rather fkin ace too! cheers! dick subhumans"