Motu Suck. Reason #1

James R. Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Sep 6 18:46:17 CEST 2008

Since we are talking word clock, I've always had a nagging question.  I
mainly use AES and S/PDIF for interfacing with my outboard.  Since both of
these signals provide clock, is there any reason to also use wordclock?
I've never had a problem with dropout and everything sounds fine.  Are the
clocks actually all synced in this type of setup or just "close"?   Should I
also implement the wordclock network?

James R. Coplin

-----Original Message-----
From: music-bar-bounces at lists.music-bar.org
[mailto:music-bar-bounces at lists.music-bar.org] On Behalf Of Martin Naef
Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2008 11:40 AM
To: Music-bar
Subject: Re: Motu Suck. Reason #1

Paul,

punkdISCO wrote:
>> What happens when you connect the Soundcraft desk using TDIF?
> I cant get this to work, either but this is expected: in my mixer's manual
> it has a section on the Motu 2408 and it states: if using TDIF, the 2408
> should be master and you need to clock using word clock (I don't have a
word

Ahh, that's probably at the core of the problem with your other
interfaces: Seems like there's some clocking issue between the different
implementations. I've googled a bit, and found similar comments,
mentioning different TDIF versions, where the difference is the clocking
bit...

BTW: You might get away using a standard old BNC Ethernet cable for the
word clock connection. The impedance isn't quite right (50Ohm vs. 75
Ohm), but you can often get away with it...

> If I connect my desk using ADAT, it all works fine.

At least that's good news.

> ..and there was me ready to revolutionise my studio this weekend...

Hey, you can't always win...

Martin