Pre Amps

Niall Munnelly EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Sep 4 21:07:04 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 07:48:25PM +0100, punkdISCO wrote:
> Hi all – I have been heavily reading up of mic pre amps / channel strips as
> Im in the market for one. I think my requirements are:
>
> 1)	very easy to use
> 2)	A flattering sound could be nice, rather than something very neutral
> 3)	I "think" I only need one channel but Im worried that I might regret
> this (although can imagine why or how)

The P1 is a clean preamp.  This is nice when you track a lot
with it, because there's no character imposed on your mix.

Character on a budget can be had for cheap with the Groove
Tubes Brick:

http://tinyurl.com/5byhq2

If you save a little while longer, you could get a Hamptone
HJFP2 assembled and shipped.  I've only used the valve
version in person, but have heard a lot of music with the
JFET model, and it kicks huge ass for the money.  If you
drive it hard, you'll definitely get character.

Finally, you could probably buy a used Chandler Germanium
mic pre in the US for about 1100 USD, and I've seen them for
as low as 900, 950 USD.  If you want flattering character,
that, based on audio files I've heard, has it in spades.

Lastly, there's the Chameleon Labs 7602:

http://chameleonlabs.com/product1.htm

You can also buy this pretty cheaply used if you shop
around.  It's one of the best deals in channel strips I've
heard.

--
Yours,
Niall.