Motu 2408 Mk2 verses Mk3

Romain Gros EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Sep 1 18:08:25 CEST 2008

Martin,
You are right to ask this question ,  sorry for the misunderstanding...
I meant for the ultralight mk3 or the 828 mk3 ( for trim and beeping
noise)...

Maybe there are more info but this is   what i found quickly about the2408
mk3 , I think it's nothing new for you :)...

by *majdid<http://www.motunation.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=38352>
* on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:25 am
when are we going to get new drivers from motu? look at a company like line6
for expl, they support each and every one of their products, they already
released win xp64/vista 64 drivers for many of their products. no i am not
the PR manager for line6, i only have a podxt and i never ever had to speak
to the support for anything. in fact they even sent me FOR FREE a PSU that
matches 220v power socket that im using, because i got it from the us.

the motu site seems like it hasent been updated for ages, i am really
wondering what these guys are doing? anyway, if somebody have some news
about new drivers/firmware release for the firewire devices, please post the
info..

[image: Post]<http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=252216#p252216>by
*billruys<http://www.motunation.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=24895>
* on Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:16 am
Majdid is right. Magazines rely too much on vendor sponsorship to speak out
about a manufacturer. It would be like the Dixie Chicks criticising George
Bush [image: :lol:]

The thing to do is to get the word out ourselves. As much as I really like
MOTU hardware (I'm in the PCIe camp with the 2408 Mk3 & 24i/o), I could not
recommend it to anyone right now, mainly due to the rubbish tech support. So
keep speaking up in your respective communities (online forums, etc).

I really hope MOTU can fix themselves. I actually believed in them as a
company. When the first 2408 came out, there was nothing like it anywhere -
they were true innovators. But then, I have seen innovators hit the wall
before. Opcode comes to mind... I have a personal stake in MOTU succeeding
and staying on the Windows platform.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[image: Post]<http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=217302#p217302>by
*sustainiac<http://www.motunation.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=35806>
* on Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:25 am

Information on the compatibility of the PCI-424 card.

The PCI-424 card included with 2408mk3, 24I/O, and HD192 Core Systems is a
PCI-X and standard PCI compliant card.
We refer to this card as the "PCIX-424".

The PCI-424 card included with 2408mk3, 24I/O, and HD192 PCI Express Core
Systems is compatible with all PCI Express form factors.
We refer to this card as the "PCIe-424".

If your computer uses standard PCI (5V) or PCI-X (3.3V) slots, our PCIX-424
card will be compatible with your system.

If your computer uses only PCI Express (PCIe) slots, such as Apple's
Dual-Core Power Mac G5s or Intel Mac Pros, the PCIe-424 card will be
compatible with your system and the PCIX-424 card will not be compatible.
Registered users of any MOTU PCI-324 or PCI-424 core system can upgrade to
the PCIe-424 card by visiting the MOTU Online Store.

The original PCI-424 (pictured below) was replaced by the PCIX-424 card late
in 2003. PCI slots with a 3.3 volt power specification cannot support 5 volt
PCI cards such as the original PCI-424. Additionally, the original 424 card
will not physically fit into the PCI-X slots found on many new motherboards
nor will it fit into any PowerMac G5 or Mac Pro. PC motherboards that
utilize dual-processors, hyperthreading, or 64-bit processing will also not
likely work with the original 424 card.

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 4:11 PM, Martin Naef <mnaef at navisto.ch> wrote:

> Romain,
>
> Romain Gros wrote:
> > I read on the motu forum  http://www.motunation.com/forum/ ,that the
> > mk3 version  got some bugs ... Like :  the trim is to high by
> > definition  , with guitars or bass guitars, it clips ... also i read
> > about  bugs as  beeping a very High noise (  you can t stop it
> > without reseting the motu), cracking when you use cuemix effect ...
>
> Are you sure those posts refer to the 2408mkIII? This interface has no
> pre-amps, there's no "trim" in the first place. Also, cuemix on the
> PCI-424 has no effects.
>
> Martin

Romain Gros
rXg