music?

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Oct 13 01:11:58 CEST 2008

Michael Zacherl wrote:
> Hey Tony,

Hey Michael!

>> Hilarious. It may be music. It *is* fugal (the voices stuff). Dunno if I
>> like Gould's playing of Webern.
>
> *cough*  I do!  I also prefer him playing Bach's works!  ;-)

Hmmm. I'm glad you like it. I somehow doubt that Glen Gould could play anything
on the piano without it enriching music, and life in general.

>> His style is abrupt and acts as counterpoint to the subtle harmonies of
>> Bach, whereas abstract piano music like this is easier to connect with when
>> played legato, with smoothness, and forgiveness for a piece that is looking
>> for sympathetic ears.
>
> Actually two things came up my mind:
>
> + What's the abstraction in there? + Why should composers have to seek for
> forgiveness and sympathetic ears?

Yup. Damn. You're right. This is very much a personal aesthetic thing, where I
hear some possibility for a piece, most often without really listening to the
space that surrounds and informs it (the abstraction, as you say). This is an
old habit...

> On Oct 26th the Wien Modern festival starts. http://wienmodern.at/ One part
> is dedicated to Stockhausen, playing/showing all his works (as far as they
> are known).

WOW!!! Are you going?

> well, that's popular music, somewhat grandstanding ;-)

Agreed :) I was thinking of punk when I posted it, because I think Stockhausen
had the attitude of creating his own universe, plus a massive amount of
determination, dedication, skill, and was able to rewrite the rules.

I find Grüppen much more accessible than Kontakte, though. I heard it played
live once. Three orchestras... :P

Tony