hmm .. return to a mixer era or stay mixerless?

punkdISCO EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Oct 10 22:57:54 CEST 2008

> wonder if i would really do it justice though, hmm .. decisions
> decisions.  i supposed i'd have to actually start mixing properly ..

Personally, I would not bother, Jay.  I have flogged it to death but, I went
mixerless a few weeks ago for the second time.  However, this time I have 24
i/o plus with the ability to expand up to 96 channels all from the single
PCIe card (Motu PCIe 424).  The card has DSP so actually serves as a digital
mixer.  Anything can be routed to anything.  Once you take this into Live,
which is inheritably flexible, you suddenly have incredible integration
between hardware and software.  It just works, completely seamlessly..

The downside is I think(?) I have to have my computer on to use the mixer.
Sure, I don't need to start up my sequencer but I do need the Motu software
that controls the DSP mixer.  This is not such a big deal once you consider
the incredible amount of integration I now have.  For example:

I just took delivery of a gorgeous SPL Gold Mike pre amp.  To send some
arbitrary Live track through this would take the following amount of effort:

1) double click on the External Effect pluggin
2) select the audio out channel
3) select the audio in channel - DONE!

I can then save this setup as an effect called "SPL Warmer" and in my next
song it is actually just step 1!!  Done! No patching, no fucking around..

So, if you are DAW based AND love your outboard / analogue gear, I would
defo say: ditch your mixer and go for lots of i/o channels instead.

But hey, as always, let us know what you do.  Clearly the above is not for
everyone and this mixer could add a lot of value to your setup etc..

Ta,

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk
Banned by YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EvlOpBe0xU
"thats mental! and rather fkin ace too! cheers! dick subhumans"