The American Coup

Niall Munnelly EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Oct 9 19:42:47 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 07:14:14PM +0200, Peter Korsten wrote:

> > Sorry for the digression, but there's no way this could be
> > answered to anyone's satisfaction once you start discussing
> > differences in the roles of art in each culture, received
> > prejudices in either culture, the fact that Eastern art is
> > typically a few rooms in Western museums or the domain of
> > private collectors..  It's just not a level playing field,
> > well beyond the "horses for courses" argument.
>
> Well then, name one world-famous American piece of art, along the lines
> of the two mentioned above.

Along what lines?  The US can't compete with the age, so
what other criteria have we?  Are you just looking for
paintings?

> > If any of ye come to Ireland, though, and we can actually
> > meet up, let's go to the Charles Beatty library.  You'll
> > love it.
>
> And if you come here, I'll take you to the neolithic temples. They
> precede Stonehenge and the pyramids by quite a few centuries. Gert and
> Martin have been there.

Well, shit, man, if you wanna throw down potlatch-style,
then I'll take you to Newgrange, and I'll even buy you
dinner at the visitor centre!

I daresay your temples look cooler, though.

--
Yours,
Niall.