Why do you look so sad - v0.9

Gert van Santen EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Nov 29 17:08:39 CET 2008

Mikael Hansson schreef:
> Gert van Santen wrote:
>> I like it a lot. There still isn't enough space for the vocals in
>> the freq spec, though. This makes it sound as if the vocals are
>> not loud enough. Check it out, and perhaps add some extra
>> compression (to the vocals).
>>
>> Great track :-)
>
> Thanks Gert!
>
> I'm not used to mixing for vocals but I'll try to put myself in some
> mixing sessions with this one and see what happens.
>
> I read some articles on vocal engineering last week and I've tried to
> follow them.
>
> First I put a HP filter to cut out the bottom end and then I put two
> compressors in the vocal chain, one with 4:1 ratio and, what I can
> understand of it, about 6-8db gain reduction. This was then followed by
> an 8:1 compressor with a rather high threshold just to level out the
> remaining peaks.
>
> Then I had an EQ to sculpt the sound a bit and then it was time for
> Melodyne to do it's magic, most was listenable before but there was some
> notes that were a semitone off, mostly on bent phrases. I also reduced
> the volume of the breathing noise. The result was bounced to new tracks.
>
> After that I added delays and reverbs and in some cases some more EQ.
> The chorus is for instance the original recording with the new one cut
> at 300Hz put under it adding some extra prescence.

Wow!! You did a lot of work on your track - awesome!
I must say - you can really hear it :-)

Seeing you did quite a bit of compression on the vocals, I just
don't understand why they are still a bit "snowed under"
Try to make a dip in the other instruments at around 2kHz
(depends on the voice character). Not too much, just a bit. It
might work :-)

Meanwhile, keep the good work going :-)
--

:-)