Why do you look so sad - v0.9

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Nov 28 22:00:27 CET 2008

Hi Micke

Mikael Hansson wrote:
> Getting closer! I recorded completely new takes for all vocals today,
> around eight takes per part and then I did some comping, putting
> together the best parts. Not completely satisfied though.

I finally had the time to listen to the new song. It definitely has
potential. I understand you're not yet in the final mixing stage, but
I'd bring the vocal a bit more up-front in any case, it's buried too
much behind the synths. With this style, I'd also apply a bit more
reverb to the voice to support the slightly dreamy style.

Next time you do the recording, I'd also try to sing a lot louder and
check how it sounds. You might want to to do this when you're home alone
if you don't feel comfortable "belting out" with the family around.

> I'm gonna sing-a-long to this for a while and do another try later. The
> local musishop didn't have any pop-stoppers in storage but I think I
> managed to avoid pop's anyway.

Get some wire and a fine stocking - that should work just as well.
You'll need it when you starting pushing the volume.

> I need to train getting a more consistent vocal character. Most notes
> ended up in the correct semitone this time though :)

That's what they invented autotune for... ;-)

Martin