De-essing

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Nov 17 16:39:57 CET 2008

Hi Micke

Mikael Hansson wrote:
> We forgot the popshield this weekend so when we listened to the last
> track in the car, we found out there was some sharp s's cutting through.

Erm, a pop-shield doesn't do much against sharp S's...

> Which is the best way to get rid of that? EQ or a dedicated deesser?

Deesser. A regular EQ might take away some of the "air" and bite of the
vocal.

> If I use a deesser, should I use it before or after the compressor?

Generally before, but it shouldn't be too critical IMHO. In case you
don't have a deesser, there's a free one here (I haven't used it myself,
but the digitalfishphone plug-ins generally have a good reputation even
if they're a bit long in the tooth now):

http://www.digitalfishphones.com/main.php?item=2&subItem=5

Martin

--
http://www.navisto.ch