more music made with webcam ..

James R. Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat May 31 15:48:02 CEST 2008

I don't think that the piano interface is necessarily best, it clearly has
limitations.  The layout of notes on the piano is incredibly unintuitive
compared to other interfaces I've seen for example.  However, I've not seen
anything that is radically "better" for all the limitations.

The whole gesture control thing is a bunch of hogwash I think. One of the
worst things I've ever had to sit through was a dance performance where the
dancers were wired up to generate all sorts of controls based on their
movements that was triggering and controlling sound generation gear.  What a
bore.  A bunch of noise, no music.

I don't see how the physical expression got so tied to the notion of music.
It's like rocker face somehow adds to the music.  So besides practicing how
to actually play, I would also benefit from sitting in front of a mirror
grimacing.  These expressions are more style of performance and impact the
visual aspects of the performance for those watching.  They do not so much
impact the audible aspects of performance, which is the important bit.

James R. Coplin

Work is the Curse of the Drinking Class