more music made with webcam ..

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat May 31 14:27:38 CEST 2008

Jay Vaughan schreef:

> A use for dusty webcams worldwide.

Yes, that's true. But it seems to me that the onus is more about low
cost and using what's there, than actually doing something new. Because
in essence, it doesn't differ from the interfaces we've seen before.
Instead of a mouse or a couple of buttons, we use a piece of paper and
coins.

But what if we pointed the web cam at our faces, and use it for facial
recognition? It's not at all easy, but my web cam comes with a piece of
software that let's me replace my own face with a dinosaur. (Some might
claim that's an actual improvement. :))

It figures out that you're moving your head and opening and closing your
mouth. Now, suppose that the web cam could see that you have an evil
grin, and as a result you would get jarring, dissonant chords whilst
playing?

That would be something *really* new, and few things are as expressive
as the human face.

Just a thought. Not that I want to ditch everything that is not
super-sophisticated, but all the things I've seen so far score high on
the gadget factor, or the cheapness factor, but to me they all lack a
certain amount of imagination.

- Peter