My bands Music

Bill Fox EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed May 28 13:37:10 CEST 2008

Gert van Santen wrote:
> Paul Maddox schreef:
>
>> The other three are mine, I'm still new to writing rock songs and VERY new
>> to writing lyrics, any suggestions for improvement would be very much
>> appreciated.
>>
> Very nice, Paul, thanks for sharing.
> * All in all, I would say good rock songs.
> * The drums are sometimes not loud enough - or perhaps not
> compressed well enough - and sound a bit weak because of that in
> some parts. (3d and 4th song are better).
> * Same for the vocals, which sound a bit weak, and are not always
> very intelligible for "strangers".
> * I think the guitars overpower the vocals. You might want to EQ
> the guitars (less 2.0 kHz or somewhere around that area) so that
> the vocals will have more space. You might want to add some 2.kHz
> to the vocals (or somewhere around that).
> * The vocals, and also the guitars, sometimes sound very
> "rehearsal roomy". You might want to add some reverb, unless you
> like that sound, of course.
> Nice work!

Hi Paul,

Let me agree with what Gert said, although I only listened to the first
song.  I'd recommend scooping out some of the midrange from the guitar
(about 800Hz) to leave more room for the vocals.  I found that the drums
lacked punch and presence.  I recommend that you use my three band
version of parallel compression on the drums.  Overall, there seemed to
be a veil over the drums and vocals.  IMO, the vocal should be the
loudest, most clear thing to hear.  Just underneath it should be the
snare drum.  It really needs to crack.  Lead vocal and drums are the two
areas where I feel you can improve for the most benefit.  Nice job overall.

Cheers,

Bill