Sync speeds and actual speeds

deeplfo EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue May 27 06:19:44 CEST 2008

That sounds like a question for : http://www.broadbandreports.com/

mohsen

----- Original Message ----
From: The Dong <dong at f2s.com>
To: Music-bar <music-bar at lists.music-bar.org>
Sent: Monday, May 26, 2008 3:13:45 PM
Subject: Sync speeds and actual speeds

I have a 2Mb fixed speed just now on ADSL.
My modem reports a sync speed of consistently ~6Mb+

If I regrade my ADSL service from fixed to 'up to' 8Mb ADSL, will I
actually get the speeds my modem can sync at? Remember, I'm in the rip
off UK ;)

Reason I'm dubious about getting what my line is capable of is because
the online checkers (BT) say my line is only capable of 2Mb/s or more.
ADSL MAX is available.
Other reason is that all the surrounding routers I've 'probed' are
getting very poor sync rates of about 3.2Mb/s.

What I'm really asking is if BT and other unscrupulous doodoos are
artificially throttling sync rates across the board; will I get anywhere
near 5-6Mb/s, or am I delusional to suppose that my optimal, current
sync rate would not 'up' to a real rate?

You see. If I 'regrade' to the up to 8Mb service, I doubt I can go back
if it goes tits up and by some small print near omission ruins my
current unlimited use service..

I'm still dubious ;)