Another Idiocracy truth

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon May 19 22:00:45 CEST 2008

The Dong schreef:

> All it takes is a dispute and a strike of refuse workers anywhere on the
> planet for any significant length of time for it to all cave in. Supply
> of all produce and consumables has grown so over-packaged that it is a
> ridiculous insult for the Italian officials to even suggest that people
> shouldn't dump it on the streets. You don't want it in your house, so
> there's nowhere for it all to go, else burn it or macerate it down the
> toilet, which doesn't help at all and just shifts the problem onto the
> water suppliers, who still need to get rid of it...

The local organised crime is heavily involved, too.

But what one might forget is that keeping rubbish for more than a few
days in southern Europe is not a good idea. Here in Malta, it's
collected every day except Sundays and holidays. There is some hidden
unemployment going on there, but still, leaving rubbish in your garage
or, god forbid, outside when it's 35 degrees, is not fun.

So when I read that certain local councils in the UK collect rubbish
every two weeks and then fine you if your wheelie bin is overflowing...
madness.

- Peter