reliability, please check

Bill Fox EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri May 16 02:14:59 CEST 2008

Joost Schuttelaar wrote:
> On May 15, 2008, at 23:59 , Bill Fox wrote:
>
>> Joost Schuttelaar wrote:
>>
>>> Can some of you check that from the last 24 hours you didn't miss any
>>> of these e-mails?
>>> http://lists.music-bar.org/pipermail/music-bar/2008-May/thread.html
>>> Just checking if the list is reliable right now.
>>>
>> Joost,
>> ALERT!  You have the To: field populated by the original sender.
>>
> Huh? The To: field is music-bar at lists.music-bar.org here
Sorry, Joost.  I must be on drugs.  I got it bass-ackwards.  Here's a
sample header from the "Unverified" folder:

Date:       Thu May 15 19:04:44 CDT 2008
Sender:     "Peter Korsten"<peter at severity-one.com>
To:  "Music-bar"<music-bar at lists.music-bar.org>
Subject:     Re: Some videos listed

With Peter listed as the sender, (what happened to the From: field?) I'm
fairly certain that Spam Arrest thinks that Peter has sent me a
message.  Since Peter is not in my allowed-to-send list, his message is
stuck in limbo until he responds to the challenge message that Spam
Arrest sends to unknown senders.  (Peter: Can you confirm that Spam
Arrest has sent you the challenge message?)

I have already placed music-bar at lists.music-bar.org into the "mailing
lists that are allowed to send" list so if you change how you populate
the sender (or From or Reply-to ?) field(s) to the list address, I'll
start getting all list messages and other list members will not be
bothered by challenge messages from Spam Arrest.  Spam Arrest must be
made to think that list messages are from the list
(music-bar at lists.music-bar.org) and not from the original senders.  What
are you using to populate the Reply-to field?

Shouldn't I be in the To field and not the list?  I don't know how these
things work.  Sheesh.  Sometimes it's frustrating not being an IT  person...

Cheers,

Bill