VNC Mac help

Michael Zacherl EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun May 11 23:48:41 CEST 2008

On May 11, 2008, at 6:59 PM, Ron West wrote:

>> telnet: connect to address 192.168.1.103: Operation timed out
>> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
>
> this is what happened - it timed out.

but you can ping "her" ?

you wrote:
>  i have her using this
> widget, http://cip.physik.uni-bonn.de/~maahn/ip.html to get her IP
> address.

I installed that widget to see how it works.
Is it guaranteed that it shows the address of the correct interface?
There are multiple choices to pick.

> i figured it was a problem with the port. i need to figure out how to
> open that port to let VNC through.

hm ... didn't you say there's no firewall or such?
Strange.

what kind of online access she's got? Is there a router involved?
mail me privately if you don't want to disclose that here.
do you know traceroute? did you try that to see where you get?

>> Could your mother try to vnc to herself? Does this work?
>
> i have a hard enough time explaining POP mail to her. i think VNC
> would make her head explode. :-)

I gave my "old" 15" MBP to my mom, she's 67 and can barely use a
typewriter. hrhr.
But there's progress - today she got my "Lumix" digicam as an
appetizer.  :-D
(she wants to take photos of my baby nephew)

>> Looks like video feedback here, but it works (be fast with quitting
>> the
>> chicken ;-) .
>
> i just tried it with myself. it timed out when using my "real" IP
> address but it worked when i used my router IP. does that sound
> normal?

That depends what kind of connection you have and what's the router
doing.

Stay tuned, Michael.

--
keep your ears open: http://blauwurf.at