Mix Progress (any chance of a peer review please?)

Paul Maddox EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon May 5 22:49:54 CEST 2008

Gert,

> OK, it's working :-)

Phew...

> Very nice, Paul! Although no earworm, this is exactly the stuff I
> would like to hear again from bands playing in those pubs around
> the place where I live (but the whole band scene has been dead
> for years :-(.

It's growing around the UK, people here seem to want to see bands live
rather than just buy CDs. Strange.

> I think the production is fine and fits the music. It almost
> sounds a bit 70's, and has sort of a live-feel. I like the fact
> how the singer sometimes sounds like the guy that was in Soft
> Machine in the 60's. In short - I've heard much worse from
> commercial albums.

Thanks.

> I personally would play this song a couple of bpms faster.

Fair point.

> The breakdown is very nice - a bit RHCP.

Yeah, I guess, I hadn't thought about that.

> I get the feelling that all the musicians are trying a bit too
> hard to not make any mistakes, This does make the track sound
> less dynamic and tight than it could have been.

True, I guess getting the balance between 'live' and 'recording' is hard to
achieve.

> Perhaps it would be nice to work a bit on a more personalized
> guitar sound.

One guitar is going through a behringer vamp running a JCM800 simulation
(right ear), the other is going through my starfire preamp and home built
cab sim (Left Ear)
With this track the guitars pretty much do the same thing, it other tracks
we have they do different things, including different timing which helps.
It's hard though, a rock guitar song is pretty much a rock guitar song.

> Hope to see you guys at a gig some time in the future :-)

Me too :-)

> Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the comments, they are very much appreciated.

Paul