Crystal castle breaks Creative Common

M-.-n EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat May 3 10:17:41 CEST 2008

Hi guys,

I don't know where this story is going and there's probaby no story at all,
but I thought I mentioned it here...

There's been quite a turmoil in the 8bit community (mainly on
http://www.8bc.org) about an 'unreleased track' of Crystal Castle called
'Insecticon', ripping off a great deal of Belgian gameboy artist lo-bat. For
the record, you can listen to insecticon on CC's record label's myspace.

http://www.myspace.com/liesrecords

and lobat's track from his website

<http://www.lo-bat.be/wauter/music/lobat/my%20little%20droid%20needs%20a%20h
and.mp3>

Of course, since the story blew up (I.e., yesterday) they updated the page
to say it was lo-bat Vs. Crystal Castle and since the track is 'unreleased',
it's kind of a borderline issue but I thought I'd mention it here, since we
are all more or less affected by Creative Common licensing when posting on
our website.

I've personally disliked Crystal Castle since the beginning since they've
pretty much been BS'ing around with comments like:

?I found a keyboard in the garbage next to my building,? says Claudio, the
group?s defacto producer. ?I tried getting it to work, but it wouldn?t. A
week before, though, I had found an Atari 5200. So I ripped the soundchip
out of that thing and put it in the keyboard, and I started being able to
control the sounds.?

see http://www.thefader.com/articles/2006/12/12/walking-on-glass

And, while using reference to the DIY/Chiptune community, they went at the
same time ripping one of it's artists. Kind of a turn off.

Marc.