Apogee Rosetta clocks

Gert van Santen EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Mar 31 17:30:10 CEST 2008

Larry Pham schreef:
> Hey guys,
>
> Does anyone own an Apogee Rosetta 800/200?
> I'm trying to figure out if the "intelliclock" in the Rosetta is the
> same C777 clock found in the AD16X and Big Ben.
>
> I've neglected the big hole in my production for a while now so some new
> converters and EQ's needs to be purchased.
> Some ideas for EQ's are Empirical Labs 'Lil Freq or the Langevin
> Mini-Massive.
> I would like the Tonelux Rack with some EQ's and Comps but that's abit
> much for me at the moment.
>
> What are you guys using for Converters and Eq's?

I use an M-Audio Delta 1010 on a Mac G4 dual 450 Mhz (yes, it
still works). Good sound, never had any problems.
An Edirol FA-66 on a PC core 2 duo. Slow box with some driver
troubles, but OK for what I do.
Two very small ESI boxes. Great for the price, and sound good. I
use them for laptops.

I also own an TLAudio Ivory 5052 valve EQ, comp, lim. Makes
everything sound just that little bit (or much more) better and
phatter.
SPL Stereo Q. Excellent silky EQ.
SPL Charisma. Makes everything warmer and also sort of
compresses/limits your signal like an old valve box or tape.

I have found that I'm using less and less external gear for
mixing and mastering, mostly for convenience reasons: plugins are
of great quality these days, plus they are so easy to use.
I do use my external gear, though, mostly for recording loops
from "loop boxes" like Jomox-999, Roland MC-505, electribes and
that kind of stuff. I think it's great to play with valve boxes,
EQ's, compressors and filters. But I also love the soft versions.

BTW, I just had a conversation with Hans (Dif, who left this
list). He came to my place to pick up some files I worked on for
him. It seems we are both coming to the conclusion that the
possibilities and the quality of modern gear are so awesome, that
it really doesn't matter a lot what stuff you are using. It's
like I heard David Gilmour say when I saw some reporter ask him
about the gear he used to get his sound: "Just give me any cheap
guitar and a cheap amp, and I will sound like David Gilmour...

Cheers,

--

:-)

G e r t  v a n  S a n t e n