talking about Jean Michel Jarre...

Gert van Santen EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Mar 26 10:05:36 CET 2008

March 25. Went to see Jean Michel Jarre
in Carr? Amsterdam. It was 33 years ago
that I had been to the "Royal Theatre"
to see the (then) magnificent Genesis
including Peter Gabriel for their ?The
Lamb lies down on Broadway? tour, after
which Gabriel left the band.

After seeing The Cure?s brilliant show
last week, JMJ was a nice evening out
with my good friend Rolf, although a bit
disappointing at times, and, music-wise,
sometimes even boring.

Jarre himself, although not a great live
player, behaved like he was God?s gift
to music audiences. Some of the stuff he
did, was too loud, drowning the rest of
the band, and at moments just sounded
wrong (especially when doing the thing
with the "curtain rail", as Rolf called it).
The songs from the album Oxygen were
less interesting than I remembered,
although many of the sounds were
awesome. It was very nice to see all
those old machines on stage ? heaven for
vintage synth lovers! A lot of EMS
stuff, Moogs and an ARP 2600, but I also
saw recent gear, like the Alesis
Andromeda and a Boss RE-20 delay.
Anyhow, after a while I decided for
myself that Equinoxe is way better than
Oxygen.
The encore was a big chill. One short
track. Around 10:00 pm we were outside
again.

One other thing I would like to mention,
is, that JMJ certainly wasn?t worth the
money I paid. 102 euros for some 90
minutes of music. The Cure was 34 euros
for 3 hours and 15 minutes of much more