A bit of a Linux journey (Dave's distro-hopping redux)

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Mar 16 19:14:22 CET 2008

> I've had it do the instant jam, no fuss thing too.  For that it's
> really good,
> but music on Linux isn't my priority just yet.

ah i see, then naturally you'd fair better if you roll your own...

> It also borked it's grub.conf several times somehow

definitely weird.

> Finally, there's this annoying bug where the desktop settings often
> aren't
> loaded (something about gnome settings daemon failing, I can't
> remember
> what), which I've seen attributed to something to do with the realtime
> kernel.

yeah you've gotta add a sleep(3) in /etc/init.d/gdm after the gnome-
settings daemon is fired up - this is a known issue, i had this
problem for about 30 seconds too, and then i fixed it for good ..

> I'm pretty sure that PREEMPT in there means it's got realtime
> capabilities (?)
> but if not, I know the realtime kernels are definitely available on
> Sidux
> through the standard Sid repositories.

it means the kernel features PREEMPTability, but whether your apps
and system are using it properly are another story ..

> It's pretty good, but my feeling is that the amount of time I had
> to spend
> fixing stuff on it didn't make it feel like a Ubuntu distro.  If
> I'm going to
> have to fix stuff, then I might as well have a bit more raw power
> (with more
> options and edgyness) to play with in the first place.

fair enough.

> You should check Sidux sometime though dude - I reckon you might
> like it.

yeah, but to be honest, i do too much work on linux these days (just
finished adding tolapai gigabit ethernet features to grub, for
example, and am now doing a back-port of the same driver to linux-2.6
and chorus, of all freakin' things), so ermm .. i'm a bit over the
whole distro-chasing thing, which is actually why i'm interested in
your experiences .. ;)

;
--
Jay Vaughan