Now this is jazz!

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Mar 15 12:45:32 CET 2008

The Dong schreef:

> That isn't legal; to ban parody.

That's not what's happening.

> In fact I think it is perfectly legal for StSanders to post this stuff,
> just as it is perfectly acceptable for a stand-up comedian to insult or
> impersonate the Queen or Prime minister or mock an artist by singing
> different words to the song. The only problem here is that sites like
> this operate within their own rules which don't tend to be based on a
> legal reality.

The difference between you dressing up like Eric Clapton and giving an
awful performance, and taking a video of Eric Clapton with your own
awful playing substituting the original sound, is that you don't have
the copyrights to that video.

> The only reason the artists (or their managers) complained was because
> it makes fun of them and they are selfish bastards who will quickly
> flash over if the joke's about them, but laugh wholeheartedly when the
> joke's about someone less worthy (of less worth because they aren't
> making them money).

It's probably a matter of principle more than anything else: there is a
breach of copyright, so we complain and whine until it's removed, or
else we sue and whine in court.

Which still makes it childish, of course, to complain about it, but
there you go.

- Peter