New MacBook Pro

Andy Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Mar 1 23:44:49 CET 2008

On Mar 1, 2008, at 7:47 AM, Romain Gros wrote:

> nice :)

Did a little test

1st gen Macbook Core Duo 2ghz, 2gb RAM, 7200 RPM HDD
VS
2 month old Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, 5400RPM HDD, 8600M
GT 256mb

Latest version of AfterEffects on both machines, identical project.
Project was 25 seconds and standard definition - a 3d environment with
multiple instances of 3D Stroke, Particular, text, glow effects,
composted HD footage, depth of field enabled etc... This was a RAM
preview at full quality. "Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously" was
not enabled, meaning both processors concentrated on a single frame at
a time.

Macbook Pro took 15 minutes

MacBook took 22 minutes 18 seconds

Pretty nice for the Pro, also on a side note an output render on the
Pro with "Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously" enabled gave me a 12
minute render.

Also the MacBook fan was full bore, the Pro was quiet as a clam.

In the small test I did in Logic using software instruments the Pro
was over all more responsive and took anything you threw at it without
breaking a sweat. Where the MacBook seems to always give you a vibe of
the little engine that could :)

And of course the Pro is a much, much better quality machine as far as
build, the screen brightness along would make me want to upgrade to
the Pro.

Some of you might say "Duh!" to all of this, and others might say "hey
KOOL!," or "does it have blu-ray?" But it was useful to see the
difference. The MacBook is an amazing computer because while it does
not do everything the best or the fastest, it gives you a consumer
priced machine that can handle any pro task you throw at it, just a
little slower. But I think it's time to upgrade to a Pro.