RPM-countdown

Peter Korsten EMAIL_HIDDEN
Sat Mar 1 00:41:55 CET 2008

Joost Schuttelaar schreef:

> So cut 'n paste :( I need to do something different with my music.
> Falling into the same patterns. Very much inspired by Andy_R's work.

At the risk of going off on a tangent, but today I finished a course
called 'Object-oriented analysis and design using UML'. Now, programming
I've been doing for... 65% of my life (if that isn't scary, I don't know
what is) and object-oriented analysis and design isn't exactly new to me
either.

However, this course (and UML) gives you a structured way of going from
an interview to a skeleton of the code, by following a number of steps.
So instead of the intuitive approach I've used so far, I can use a
proven methodology.

Now, back to your music. Presumably, you have an intuitive approach
there as well, right? And whilst you can get excellent results with that
approach, it does lock you into a certain way of working.

Maybe you need a different approach. Maybe you need to think outside the
box, try something completely new. You don't have a follow a strict
regime like in the example above, just as long as you take a *different*
approach.

If you use a computer, drop it. If you always start with the melody,
start with the drum and bass lines instead. Take some cutlery from your
kitchenette and start hitting pots and pans. Record those trams outside
your window and turn the sound into something different. (Remember what
my EX5 did with 'Feed the aliens'? You have one too! When was the last
time you used FDSP creatively?)

Now I would probably be the last person on this list to give you advise
on song writing - let alone finishing a song - but do you catch my drift?

- Peter