Software vs. Hardware

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Jun 30 07:55:56 CEST 2008

James R. Coplin schreef:

> Another argument could easily be that the mouse is a *superior* interface as
> it proves more information and is much more gesture based than and knob or
> fader.  It is a multi-dimensioned interface with velocity and acceleration
> properties.  Once you add a wheel and click combinations, it should be *even
> better* than a traditional interface.

But it still doesn't have tactile feedback.

> Of course, I think all of this is hogwash as I expressed in our last
> interface discussion when I argued that the piano interface receives far
> more criticism than it deserves.  In particular since I doubt that anyone on
> this list has achieved such a level of virtuosity that it is a limiting

But it's unnecessarily complex if, for example, you want to go up a
number of semi-tones. You can't just your hands to the right, you have
to press different white and black keys as well. In this regard, the
hexagonal keyboard is simpler.

> interface.  However, it is interesting to see that many of the same people
> who feel that more complex controls are more "expressive" also think that
> the more expressive mouse is junk and the lowly knob a superior interface.
> The main problem with the mouse isn't the mouse's fault.  Blame UI designers
> for keeping the knob model in a UI where it has no business existing.

But who says that more complex is more expressive? It could as easily be
argued that complexity and expressiveness are inversely proportional.

- Peter