Software vs. Hardware

James R. Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Jun 30 05:31:35 CEST 2008

Another argument could easily be that the mouse is a *superior* interface as
it proves more information and is much more gesture based than and knob or
fader.  It is a multi-dimensioned interface with velocity and acceleration
properties.  Once you add a wheel and click combinations, it should be *even
better* than a traditional interface.

Of course, I think all of this is hogwash as I expressed in our last
interface discussion when I argued that the piano interface receives far
more criticism than it deserves.  In particular since I doubt that anyone on
this list has achieved such a level of virtuosity that it is a limiting
interface.  However, it is interesting to see that many of the same people
who feel that more complex controls are more "expressive" also think that
the more expressive mouse is junk and the lowly knob a superior interface.
The main problem with the mouse isn't the mouse's fault.  Blame UI designers
for keeping the knob model in a UI where it has no business existing.

James R. Coplin

Work is the Curse of the Drinking Class