Digital download sites to sell an album from?

Dave S EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jun 24 21:00:47 CEST 2008

Hey Bar,

My reggae/ska band Moonbuggy has just released our second album!  We got 1000
CDs pressed, and they look and sound sweet!  All very excited about that -
official launch is on the 10th of July, but they're already selling like hot
cakes around here.

However, as well as the CD sales, we want to have the tunes online somewhere
to sell as digital downloads.  There's various ways we could do this, and to
be honest, I'm not sure what to go for!

Overall options:

1. Do it ourselves - I build or install some system, either in PHP or Ruby On
Rails which handles the payments and so on.  Not out of the question - I've
built online shop systems before so I can definitely do it.  However it's a
fair bit of work, and will only catch people coming to our website anyway (no
passing trade).  We keep most of the money, bar whatever Paypal or whoever
take.

I found this Open Source option, which looks pretty good:

http://www.thirdchord.com/

However, it doesn't do FLAC or OGG (though I could almost certainly modify
it), and also doesn't have the passing trade factor that we'd like to pick up
on.

2. Find some site to sell the downloads for us... but which one?  We don't
mind them making a bit of commission on it, within reason, and overall I
guess it's likely to work out not hugely more than Paypal charges.  Benefits
would be more passing trade, less work to do ourselves.  But I can't seem to
find the right site to do it from.  What's everybody using these days?

Here's a few I knew of which on closer inspection don't seem to be quite
right:

virb.com - I know it does download sales, but it seems a little bit too much
social network and not enough record store, though perhaps I'm wrong, or
perhaps that's a good thing?

beatport.com - I know a few who use this, but it seems to only have specific
genres geared towards electronic music, not reggae / ska.

magnatune.com - doesn't seem to do reggae or ska, and also seems quite
US-centric.

indiestore.7digital.com - maybe?

I found a bit of a list here - guess I'll try to work through them:

http://www.sean.co.uk/a/musicjournalism/var/promoting_your_music.shtm

So anyway, our overall requirements:

* We control the price - we want our album to be reasonably priced.
* Non-exclusive licensing, so we can sell it elsewhere too.
* Will accept self-released albums from independent bands.

Preferred:

* Availability of downloads as FLAC and OGG files if possible.
* We control the encoding and tagging ourselves.
* UK based - not massively important, but that's where we are.
* Plenty of passing trade.

I suspect probably we'll end up using a couple of different solutions
simultaneously, but I'm sure there must be others on this list who have had
to do this kind of thing recently, and I value personal recommendations
highly!

Thanks for your help everyone!  :-D

~Dave