Reactogon: chain reactive performance arpeggiator ..

James R. Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Jun 23 16:42:00 CEST 2008

It seems to me the biggest weakness (which someone else pointed out) is that
the time to reach a pitch is fixed per row.  Notes take longer to sound the
farther they are away next nearest pitch.  If the pucks contained pitch
information, then their placement would be time, which intuitively makes
more sense.  However, digging around in a bag for the next note would
significantly hamper the "play".  Where did I put that b#3?  If only I had
another Ab2.  Etc.  Maybe a solution would be to place a pitch puck on the
row header to signify what the row was and then the surface pucks would just
be triggers.

It also seems like there is a bang for the buck scenario problem as well.  I
think this is a fundamental problem with cool things like the monome and
this would be absurdly expensive for what it gives you.  It's one of those
neat toys if you had tons of money and *space* in the studio.

James R. Coplin

Work is the Curse of the Drinking Class