audio distortions after recording

Michael Zacherl EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Jun 16 13:33:07 CEST 2008

On Jun 16, 2008, at 1:14 PM, James Green wrote:

>> ... that reminds me on a thermal problem a dear friend of mine had
>> once with her 1.5GHz PoBo HDD:
>>
>> The longer the notebook was powered on the slower it got.
>> Also depending on the stresslevel it was exposed to.
>> It turned out that the hard drive was slowly dying - you could hear
>> the head seeking heavily trying.
>> But I doubt that one would hear that in a recording situation.
>
> Tell tale clicks from hdd can suggest thermal recalibrations are being
> performed as well (heads too close to the platter ...)

back then I extracted the HDD, put it into a FW-case (left open) so I
could hear the disk constantly clicking.
I just managed to save some important data (couple of GB in a couple
of hours!) then it became inaccessible.
The first symptoms arose weeks before that - nobody reckoned that
that's the disk.

--
hear the colours of noise: http://blauwurf.at   <-- new piece online!