On this WWDC day

Andy Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jun 10 17:48:23 CEST 2008

On Jun 10, 2008, at 8:51 AM, Tony Scharf wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 12:54 AM, Andy Tarpinian
> <evildead at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> Phone companies up to the old tricks.
>>

> And apple, right there with them..supporting this all the way.  It was
> their choice to make the iPhone only available from one provider.
> because , you know, choice is antithetical to the apple business
> model..

Well whether you like it or not control over all aspects usually gives
you a more reliable product. AT&T provided an controlled testbed to
bring the platform to market. And while yes I think it should be open
to all carriers I have never had better service in all my years of
having a phone with data and voice.

> Yeah, my data + voice plan for my blackberry (which includes tethering
> so that I can use my blackberry as a modem for my laptop when I am out
> of hotspot range) is $60 per month.  Thats with more voice and text
> messages than I will ever use.  Does the iPhone even do tethering?

That sound slightly cheap, but you are also using your servers at work
(at no charge?) for added functionality also?  Tethering - Not
officially but I would not really want to use that on edge and have
very rarely had a phone where the provider supported tethering and if
they did there was a steep cost for it. Plus it helped that the web
and email experience(blackberry users at work are always jealous how
well the iPhone displays attachments) it gave me made me not care so
much about having my laptop around for those type of things. But also
lets not forget the iPhone is only now being marketed more as a
business class phone we shall see what happens.

I have set up and used tons of blackberrys at work - I like them for
what they are, they are very reliable if hardcore email is the sole
thing you want them for, but honestly using an iPhone just blows RIM
out of the water in so many ways in my opinion. Apple is the number 3
smartphone maker worldwide after just 1 year, and let's not forget
they are creating new markets.

I think it's obvious RIM is tad bit nervous

http://blackberrysync.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/bb89xx-rogers.jpg