On this WWDC day

Andy Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jun 10 01:44:37 CEST 2008

On Jun 9, 2008, at 7:09 PM, Tony Scharf wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Andy Tarpinian <evildead at nyc.rr.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> What are you referring to? I believe ActiveStink was mentioned during
>> the presentation.
>>

> ActiveSync is how they are trying to handle the enterprise sync issue.
> Its microsofts attempt at push technology akin to what my blackberry
> does.
>
> We tried to implement it at work before we committed to using
> blackberry enterprise server.  It was horrible.  every phone we tested
> it with ran out of juice really fast with it on.  You could reduce the
> number of checks the phone does to the mail (it really is not a push
> technology - the phone has to initiate everything) but then you could
> end up with long delays before delivery (not something you want for
> your IT department).

Ah I see, I know it from the windows mobile phone I had, thankfully
never had to use it. But I think in this case, Apple did not have a
choice? They are trying to integrate themselves into the enterprise
technology that is already there.

>> It's like having an Exchange server for your email, contacts/
>> calendar,
>> photos, and files - with 20gigs space plus a really nice web
>> interface
>> for 8.25 a month.
>
> yeah....Google does that free.  I use it everyday (in fact, even
> right now..).
>
> It works very well, and it costs nothing.

but can it really do everything Mobile me can do, and here's the key
point, for the average user?