UK Government Petition to lower fuel prices

Andrew Robinson EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jun 5 18:53:26 CEST 2008

Just for a laugh, I just checked train prices here in the UK.

While waiting for our new house to be built, I'm regularly driving
from London to Worcester every weekend, to see my girlfriend. It's a
round trip of 320 miles, and the petrol cost is about £35. If I'm
prepared to travel at a different time of day, and change trains 5
times on the way there, and 4 times on the way back, with no guarantee
of a seat, I can get the price down to £86.

...and the government claims that fuel taxes are there to make people
use public transport! Bollocks, they just know that cars are essential
and we'll still be forced to use them even if the taxes get twice as
high. It's nearly as ridiculous as their proposed  'green tax' on
carrier bags (1 droplet of petrochemicals per bag) while insisting
that aviation fuel (up to 216,840 litres of petrochemicals per jumbo
jet flight) shouldn't be taxed at all, or the insane rebranding of the
Dartford Tunnel toll as a 'congestion charge' when everyone knows the
only reason there is terrible congestion there is because of the
queues for the toll booths.

- Andy_R